Thanks for your interest in contributing to the Southern Hemisphere’s largest and longest running healthy and sustainable living publication, LivingNow.
At LivingNow we value diversity and encourage articles that support, inspire and celebrate individual and global ‘thrivability’. Well written and well researched articles that offer ‘a gift for the reader’ are what we look for.
In order to create the most enjoyable, impacting and educational experience possible for our readers, please consider the following key points when preparing your submission:
Our articles are for kudos and not commerce
Apart from having no contact details in print, there should be no form of promotion in them – no hooks for the readers to get the rest of the story in your workshop, your book or your private sessions. (If your need is a promotional article, talk to us about our ‘write-up’ options.)
Please note that we do not currently pay for articles.
We do not use your contact details in print. We will, however, use them in the web version.
Essential reading if you want to publish your article on your own blog or site
Due to Google’s algorithms, and in order to not penalise your site or ours by having duplicate material, it is now vitally important that you adhere to the following pointers from an SEO expert.
This is a process to follow that does not hurt rankings and may actually benefit rankings overall.
- We publish the article first on LivingNow site, and allow 7-10 days for Google to catalogue it.
- The partner/author site can then republish the content after waiting 2 weeks, using a different title/headline, and a different intro paragraph.
- The partner site mentions in their republished version that “this article first appeared in LivingNow” and includes a link back to the original article on LivingNow’s site.
What if your article has already been published?
Preference will be given to articles that have not been published elsewhere. However, we are prepared to accept a very few articles that have been published elsewhere, and we will reverse the process above so that your article is the original. However, it is essential that you provide the original source so that we can reference it.
All content for your article to be in ONE document, with the only formatting being in the form of headings, subheadings and paragraphs. No indents or tables.
Word counts – all-inclusive, ie. title, preamble and bio
- 400–600; for a single page
- 800–1200; for two-page stories
- 1500–2000; for three-page stories
Note that we will consider longer articles, but our preference is the above. A word count in the title would also be helpful.
Email subject line
Please label your email with the words ‘Article submission’ and then add your topic (e.g., meditation, environment, kinesiology, yoga, etc., rather than your proposed title).
- It is essential to send 10–25 words of introduction or preamble to whet the appetite of the readers – try to include the key word (focus of your article) in this introduction.
- Select the category and/or sub-category you think is appropriate for your article (from our web categories, viewable at the top of the homepage).
- It is also essential to send your own small biography of 15–30 words and an author photo – see details below.
- Add your own contact details at the bottom of the bio, for inclusion in the web version.
- Keywords for use with the web version of your article (list at the bottom of your submission).
- Where references are used, please also send links for the web version.
- If the article is based on or excerpted from a published book, we will include that detail at the end of the article, e.g.: ‘The above article is based upon XYZ book, published by ABC.’ So please provide those details if applicable.
- If the author is a presenter at an event, we may include some detail such as: ‘X is keynote presenter at Y event to be held in Z city this month’ (but no contact details). Please provide the details of X, Y and Z if applicable.
Note: Preferred format of photos: JPEG or TIFF – attached directly to the email (never embedded in Word)
- Please name your image LN-author-firstname-lastname
- Ensure that the photo is a high quality photo, with minimum requirements being 300dpi, 512×512 pixels (a minimum of 50KB+).
- If you have photos to illustrate your story (not necessary but nice if you have them), please send them in a small file format for choosing, and confirm that you have them in a very large format for printing
Podcasts & videos
These are an option if you’d like to accompany your article with relevant A/V items.
- Provide a playable URL (web address) for the file
- Pay-to-access content will not be accepted
- Note: we do not host podcasts and videos directly on our site; so please do not submit original audio or video files – links only
We aim to choose print articles about eight weeks before publication but will accept for submission some articles on the 1st of the prior month. If you would like to be included in a certain publication, please tell us why in your covering letter. We prioritise articles submitted by our advertisers!
By your agreeing with these guidelines, this is what we concur about copyright. The enduring copyright is your own, and you acknowledge that we, LivingNow magazine, have permission to publish the article in whole or part in any or all of our business media platforms, e.g., the print magazine, our website, apps, ebooks, blogs, social media and e-newsletters and other forms of digital promotion. Note that your submission will be edited prior to publication.
editor[at]livingnow[dot]com[dot]au with confirmation that you have read these guidelines and agree with them.