Thank you for your interest in contributing to the Southern Hemisphere’s most loved personal development, health and sustainable living publication, LivingNow.
At LivingNow we value diversity and encourage articles that support, inspire, and celebrate individual and global thrivability. High quality, well-researched pieces and articles that offer ‘a gift for the reader’ are what we look for.
In order to create the most enjoyable, impacting and educational experience possible for readers, please make sure that you adhere to the following when preparing your submission.
- Preference will be given to articles that have not been published elsewhere.
- It’s rare that we will consider articles that our readers may have already been exposed to, either in print or online. We may consider republishing articles, however not very likely. If we do, it is essential that the original source be provided so that we can reference it. Please change the title, significantly change the opening paragraph and say at the bottom of the article that it is based on an article published by ABC on X date and give the actual link.
- If the article is based on or excerpted from a published book, we will include that detail at the end of the article, e.g. The above article is based upon XYZ book, published by ABC. Please provide those details if applicable.
Preparing your submission:
- Please send us your article in a Word or Pages document only.
- Include 10-25 words of introduction or preamble to whet the appetite of the readers – try to include the key word (focus of your article) in this introduction.
- Include a list of 5–12 key words (not for publication, but for our team to use for SEO purposes).
- Submit your article with sub-headings approximately every 280/300 words, and make sure each paragraph does not exceed 150 words.
- Sentences should be shorter where possible (avoid long, rambling lines 😉 ) so that the SEO filters rank your article well.
- Include any references, with links for verification and use in the web version.
- In a separate file attach a head shot to go along with your biography (additional info below). Please use subject line: ‘Article submission – category’ (rather than the title of your article, as this may change).
- Include a 15-30 word biography at the foot of your article.
- Please note that your biography must NOT be promotional in nature or promote your business, book, website, etc.
- You may state that this article is based on / an excerpt from ‘A’ book published by ‘B’ publisher
- You may provide a link to your website, Facebook, Twitter and/or Google+ that may be included in the web version only.
Head shots and other images:
Preferred format of photos is JPEG attached directly to the email (never embedded in the document).
- Author photo
- Please name your image: Firstname-Lastname-author-image
- Minimum requirements 300DPI, 512×512 pixels.
- Aim for a well-focussed image with good light.
- Article images
- If you have photos to illustrate your story (not necessary but nice if you have them), please send them in a small file format for choosing, and confirm that you have them in a large format, and provide the source.
Word counts for articles:
Want to know something? We actually don’t care about word-quantities; it’s the QUALITY that counts! 😉
We accept anywhere between 300–3000 words, so the key is to think about what is going to be of the best value to the reader.
Some short articles are too brief, others are sweet and wonderfully-to-the-point. Some long articles are great and full of detail, while others drag on… So really, we are not going to be looking at the quantity of your words, but the overall gift to the reader; the quality.
Podcasts & videos:
- Provide a playable URL (web address) for the file
- Pay-to-access content will not be accepted
- Note: we do not host podcasts and videos directly on our site, so please do not submit original audio or video files; links only
- We aim to finalise our choice of print articles about four weeks before publication. Please keep in mind that we receive a large number of submissions from around the globe each week. Because of this, it can sometimes take several months for a determination to be made. Once this takes place, a member of our team will be in touch to let you know.
- While we release our App magazine editions every couple of months, we are always on the lookout for great content for our website, too, and welcome interested authors to submit for inclusion at any time. If you would like your piece to be considered for web only and be exposed to our readers sooner, please note this in your email. Otherwise, if your article is selected, it will be live on our site after it appears in our print or App versions.
More on exclusivity:
Due to Google’s algorithms, it is now vitally important that either your article is exclusive to LivingNow (including your own site) or that we know where it has been published so we can reference it. If you want to showcase it on your personal site here are two alternatives:
1. Wait for us to let you know that the article is on our site. Then put a teaser on your site linking to ours (which would have more traffic than most people’s individual sites anyway!)
2. Wait another two weeks (until the bots have caught up) and publish the entire article on your own site. At the bottom of the article say “First published in MONTH, YEAR, on www.livingnow.com.au/yourarticlelink
If the article is already on your site, submit to us a different version:
* Change the title
* Completely new first paragraph
* Small edits throughout
* URL to show where it was first published.
Upon submission of your work you acknowledge that we, Living Now Media, have permission to publish the article in whole or part in any or all of our business media platforms, e.g., the print magazine, our website, apps, ebooks, blogs, social media and e-newsletters and other forms of digital promotion. Note that your submission will be edited prior to publication and we cannot allow for author approval of edits prior to publication.
Our articles are for kudos, not commerce:
There should be no form of promotion in articles (unless you have specifically bought a promotional, sponsored article, which is a different process!) – no hooks for the readers to get the rest of the story in your workshop, your book, or your services.
If your need is a promotional article, talk to us about our ‘write-up’ / sponsored article options. Please note that we do not pay for articles.
*IF* your article is accepted:
You agree to promote your article (with the link/s we will send you) to your community, as a way of supporting the WHOLE LivingNow community to grow and learn and thrive together 🙂
Send your submission to:
firstname.lastname@example.org with confirmation that you have read these guidelines and agree with them.
We look forward to receiving your unique submission!