NIIM 5th ANNUAL SYMPOSIUM 2018 – ‘Integrative Medicine: The Art & Science’
Driven by the failure of curative-focused medicine to promoting general health and wellbeing, increasing numbers of practitioners and patients are shifting their focus to holistic, patient-centric care. Combining the principles of conventional medicine with evidence-based complementary and alternative therapies, practitioners can work with patients to lead them to optimal health and wellbeing.
Integrative approaches offer broad appeal in part because they address patient concerns at multiple levels. This combined approach can be considered as an effort to restore the focus of medicine on health, prevention and healing. With significant research and science highlighting the value of patient-centric integrative medical care, there has never been a more opportune time learn about the latest advancements in Integrative Medicine.
Friday 9 & Saturday 10 NOVEMBER (Attend one or both days)
Sunday 11 NOVEMBER (Half-Day Masterclass)
Amora Hotel Riverwalk, Melbourne
30 INTERNATIONAL & AUSTRALIAN SPEAKERS
Join us for this exciting program – engage with and learn from these highly qualified speakers from many disciplines. NIIM invites you to join leaders in this multi-disciplinary area of Integrative Medicine, with a focus on presenting the latest evidence and its application in clinical practice. Empower yourself with advanced knowledge and expertise combining complementary medicine approaches ethically, creatively and effectively with mainstream medicine.
KEYNOTE LECTURES – INTERACTIVE WORKSHOPS – PANEL DISCUSSIONS – Q&A SESSIONS – SCIENTIFIC ABSTRACTS … and much more!
- Professor Mustafa Djamgoz (UK), Professor of Cancer Biology, Imperial College London
- Dr Tim Ewer (New Zealand), International leading authority on Nutritional, Environmental & Integrative Medicine
28 highly qualified Australian speakers from many disciplines including: Professor Avni Sali AM, Founder of NIIM. In 2016 Prof Sali received an Order of Australia for “significant service to integrative medicine as an educator, clinician and researcher, and to professional education.”
SYMPOSIUM – INTEGRATIVE MEDICINE KEY THEMES:
- CANCER: Prof Mustafa Djamgoz (UK); Dr Ranjit Rao (Leading Urologist), Dr Jonathan Page (Medical Oncologist), Dr Cyleen Kai (Radiation Oncologist) & Dr Taufiq Binjemain (Integrative GP)
- PAIN & INFLAMMATION: Prof Avni Sali AM (Founder of NIIM), Dr Euhana Varigos (Specialist Anaesthetist), Dr Christabelle Yeoh (Integrative GP & President of ACNEM) & Michael Collins (Nurse Practitioner)
- PAEDIATRICS & CHILDREN’S HEALTH & REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH: Dr Elisa Rough (General Paediatrician), Dr Denise Furness (Molecular Geneticist), Dr Tamara Nation (Integrative GP), Dr Nicole Fowler (General Paediatrician), Dr Alyson Murray (Paediatric Nurse, Midwife & Children’s Chiropractor) & Janet Etty-Leal (Author & Mindfulness Educator)
- BRAIN HEALTH, COGNITION, DEMENTIA & HEALTHY AGEING: Dr Tim Ewer (NZ); Prof Avni Sali AM; A/Prof Craig Hassed (Integrative GP, Author, International Speaker & Educator); Dr Helena Popovic (Medical Doctor, Author & International Speaker); Prof Alan Hayes (Head of Exercise Metabolism Unit, Victoria University)
- MEDICINAL CANNABIS: Prof Luis Vitetta (Director of Research, Medlab); Prof Ian Brighthope (Leading IM Authority & International Speaker) & Adjunct Prof John Skerritt (Deputy Secretary for Health Products Regulation, Dept of Health)
- DEPRESSION & HAPPINESS TRAPS: Prof Luis Vitetta & Dr Russ Harris (Medical Doctor, Stress Consultant, Author & Leading Authority in Psychological Flexibility)
HALF-DAY MASTERCLASS FOR CLINICIANS:
Integrated Management of Cancer: Emerging Principles & Practical Issues
Speakers include Prof Avni Sali AM; Prof Mustafa Djamgoz (UK); Dr Jonathan Page; Dr Taufiq Binjemain & Dr Helena Popovic.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- GPs, Physicians & Medical Specialists
- Allied & Complementary Health Practitioners
- Dentists, Pharmacists & Assistants
- Nurses & Psychologists
- Health Policy Professionals
- Scientists, Researchers & Educators
- Healthcare Students
- Update your professional knowledge
- Access the latest evidence-based research
- Learn cutting-edge treatments and therapies
- Acquire new practical skills for direct application
- Engage in important, informative discussion
- Network with like-minded colleagues
- Re-charge, re-focus and renew your energy
Symposium (2 days) – 1 day registrations available
Friday 9 November 9am-6pm + Cocktail Reception 6pm-7pm
Saturday 10 November 9am-5:30pm + optional tour of NIIM
Sunday 11 November 9am-1:30pm
Symposium – One day $280 *Full time student $140.
Both days $520 *Full time student $260. (Prices for full time students are subsidised by NIIM – Proof of ID is required to qualify)
Masterclass – half-day $140 *Full time student $70
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT FOR HEALTH PROFESSIONALS:
RACGP Category 2 points confirmed – CPD/CME points may be available from other professional bodies, subject to application – Certificate of Attendance provided upon request
The National Institute of Integrative Medicine (NIIM) is a not-for-profit organisation, founded by Professor Avni Sali AM, a pioneer of Integrative Medicine in Australia with the help of community supporters. NIIM brings together education and research in Integrative Medicine, whilst facilitating its practice at the NIIM Clinic in Melbourne, Australia’s largest Integrative Medical centre. NIIM is also excited to have expanded its national footprint with clinics in both the Gold Coast and Sydney.
Our mission is to educate healthcare professionals and the general public in integrative medicine, and to conduct research into integrative medical treatments and technologies. In collaboration with universities and other medical bodies, NIIM conducts research into the safety and efficacy of Integrative medicine for the prevention, detection and treatment of disease. The Institute conducts and contributes to research projects in many areas including cancer, heart health, cognition, chronic diseases, nutritional and mind-body medicine.
NIIM is proud to contribute to the growing base of scientific evidence showing that the integrative medical approach supports the treatment of complex illness and also improves general health and wellbeing. Our research is vital in establishing a recognised evidence base for complementary and integrative therapies in the medical and general community.
NIIM is committed to raising awareness of Integrative Medicine in medical practice and public health. This is achieved through community campaigns, free public lectures, seminars, online learning programs and the media. The Annual NIIM Symposium is a major highlight of our educational program.
We hope you can join us for this benchmark event on the Integrative Medicine calendar!
REGISTER ONLINE: www.niim.com.au/symposium
National Institute of Integrative Medicine
11-23 Burwood Road, Hawthorn, Melbourne VIC 3122 www.niim.com.au
Share this post